ON THE ROAD AGAIN !
Edmonton is the 4th FISE World Series (FWS) stopover on september 16 to 18.
On the menu, 4 disciplines with this new FWS destination : BMX Freestyle Park, BMX Flat, Skateboarding and MTB Slopestyle to satisfy once again the viewing pleasure of all extreme sports fans !
Let’s all hit the road, we are heading to the city of Edmonton and the William Hawrelak Park to be precise, where the FISE WORLD crew will set up their ramps… So come on Frenchies, we would love to see you in one of the most important french-speaking community of western Canada.
Edmonton is the province of Alberta’s capital, in the west part of the country. Here, we are at the altitude of 1000 miles , and we are dubbed the « festival city » because yes, we are the most popular destination in Canada, ranked in the world as one of the best cities to live in ! You are impressed ?! Let’s stay modest… The city is located between two national parks, Jasper and Elk Island, so basically we are at the gateway to a fabulous background of lakes and mountains !
The FWS stopover in Edmonton, that’s…
• 3 days of extreme sports, on september 16, 17 and 18
• 4 disciplines promising heavy action : BMX Freestyle park, BMX Flatland, Skateboarding and MTB Slopestyle
• The 4th FWS stop is also the second to last FWS 2016 stopover
• Party on Whyte Avenue, the nightlife’s heart in Edmonton, where you won’t know which way to turn between pubs and night-clubs a gogo.
• Discover one of the most important canadian art collection from the end of the XIXth century until today, inside a building of glass and steel, the ART GALLERY OF ALBERTA.
• Relax during the Metro Cinema nights, during the screenings in the historic movie theater Garneau Theatre, the unconditional meeting spot of Edmonton’s film enthusiasts. Old cinema classics or independent films awarded in Cannes, we promise you that your choices will be endless !
For flying to Edmonton, you have different options.
· Flying from North America? West Jet offer direct flights from various cities with prices starting as low as $220 (using promo code DF6Q1AL). All the information here
· Flying from Europe ? Several airlines like AirFrance (Paris), KLM (Amsterdam), Icelander (Reykjavik), Condor and also WestJet (London) are available.
Edmonton Transit System's (ETS) Route 747 is an express bus transit between the airport and the Century Park bus and LRT station. Schedule
Where to sleep ?
OFFICIAL HOTEL, CHATEAU LACOMBE
Want to stay at the official hotel of the FISE World Series?
Chateau Lacombe, 10111 Bellamy Hill, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1N7
Rates : from $119 CAD
Group Code : FISE World Series, Monday to Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm
Reservation shall be made on or before Tuesday, September 6, 2016. Beyond that date, booking will be subject to space and rate available and FISE World Series preferred rate will not be guaranteed.
Or by phone at 1-800-661-8801 or 780-428-6611 , Group Code : FISE World Series , Monday thru Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm
Reservation shall be made on or before Tuesday, September 6, 2016. Beyond that date, booking will be subject to space and rate available. FISE World Series preferred rate will not be guaranteed.
Booking code is CEP-GFC15702 at
Direct call to 780-423-4811 or 1-800-716-6199 refer to 2016 FISE World Series
• $115 CAD per night
• Guestroom rate includes wifi
• Discounted parking available
Please refer to this reservation code FISE World Edmonton 2016
Direct call to 780-423-9999
• $ 129 CAD per night
• The Guestroom rates do not include breakfast or parking
• Valet Parking is the best option for any overnight parking requests..
Holiday Inn Express Downtown
Please refer to this reservation code FWS
Other way of reservations:
Direct call to 780-423-2450 OR Toll free number at 1-877-423-4656 and say the group name
• $149 CAD per night
• Rate includes complimentary parking, hot breakfast, wifi
- You want to go out ?
If you’re not ready for sleeping, the place to be is the « Whyte Avenue ». There you will find a good number of cool bars !
Beercade-the biggest thing to happen to Whyte Ave since they paved the street, opens Sept 13th to make all your Dreams come True. With over 80 vintage pinball and arcade games, 50 craft beers on tap, and Whyte Ave’s Biggest Dance Floor, powered by Retro & 90’s tunes from your restless youth. At nearly 600 people, this will be THE place to not only start your night with vintage games and great food, but to end it with great cocktails enhancing your best dance moves.Dear Beercade, Edmonton has been waiting for you. You are not a place for pretension or reservation, you are the funnest place in the World!Choose your own Adventure. BEERCADE!Website beercade.ca
You need something to eat ?
In a room with an industrial (but welcoming) look, CANTEEN is a warm local joint where the residents get their maple syrup smoked and eat some big fried corn cobs (with a near-lethal dose of syrup). Some wide flat noodles interlaced with thin slices of butternut squash make for crazy lasagna garnished with shredded confit of duck. Now you just need to try out !
10522 124 St N.W, Edmonton
Here, the firewood oven gives a delicious smoky savour to most of the dishes on the menu. It’s not only the flank steak and the pork sausages that get roasted here ; there is also the clams of British Columbia, served in a bacon-tomato broth, and a smoked salmon with cucumber and fried capers. On the cocktails side, some mixtures taste so good they’ll make you roll on the floor, like Old-World Fashioned (cognac, Xanté peer liquor and Amaro Montenegro).
10132 100 St. N.W., Edmonton
If you feel like eating a good brunch or a soup, salad, sandwich based lunch with a good coffee, a good beer or some good wine ? This is the place !
780.466.1181 9626 96A Street, Edmonton
- FISE is proud to partner with BUDWEISER, the official beer sponsor of the event. If you're a Skateboard addict, we have got something really cool for you! Grab a Budweiser 15 can packs and enter to win your FISE skateboard! Don't wait too long, the offer won't last!
- TAPPCAR, Official vehicle hire of FISE World EdmontonTappCar is Edmonton’s leading ride-sharing company. With a focus on safety, efficiency and customer service, TappCar will take you anywhere you need to go. Book through the app or call 780-222-5555 to book your ride.
Use TappCar during FISE World Edmonton with the promocode FISE16 and get 5%.
Available from Sept 12 – 19.If you want to rent a car, we advice you to use « tappcar », the official vehicule of FISE World Edmonton ! TappCar offers an industry-leading mobile app, in addition to phone (780-222-5555) and web booking.
>> Use the promocode FISE16 and get 5% off on your rental.
-Bus lines, once you are in Edmonton city center, there are 2 main bus lines :
• Edmonton Skyshuttle
• LRT network
Click here to get all the schedules.
- Do not forget your ETA application ! Since August 2015, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. So make sure you are in the right way ! More information on this website.
- In Canada, the weather is very changing, with important temperature differences from one day to the other… But Alberta is one of the sunniest canadian provinces, so don’t forget to squeeze both a pullover and a big tube of grade 50 sunscreen in your bag !
- To truly live like our canadian friends, you’ll need to test the infamous POUTINE at least once during your trip ! Imagine some soft fries covered with melted cheese and a brown sauce, a Québec specialty — not very healthy we’ll agree, but one that can save your life after a good party with plenty of drinks ! (incidentally, that’s in these particular times that we boast about our french gastronomy !)
- Smokers take note ! Ok nothing new here, like in France it is strictly forbidden to smoke in public places. But Anglo-Saxon Canada is one of the most ferocious anti-tobacco countries in the world, hence the price of the cigarettes ! So may be it’s time to stop burning your lungs right ?!
- Do not miss this at all costs ! The aurora borealis : here we are in one of the best spots in the world to attend such a unique and splendorous spectacle ! Hurry up and come to observe the green, red and purple color strips wave in the sky : the northern lights are a breathtaking phenomenon !